The heart of an image
David Jiménez — Workshop
schedule: — H
Inscription: 200 EURO
This is a workshop that aims in exploring the fine line between reality and our fluctuating perception of it. During these five days David Jimenez will try to deconstruct pre-existing ways of understanding and help participants in finding their own voice. In the first phase they will be studying a wide spectrum of artists, understanding their ideas and the way they apply their strategies in order to translate their poetic concepts into an expressive personal style. After that they will be going out into nature in the unique surroundings of Galani village and Nestos river and have a hands-on experience on the creative process. The aim is finding the elusive heart of the image, as it were, or at least getting closer to one’s understanding of it.
This Workshop is part of Eyes on Nature Workshop Series/Eyesculture.com. It will take place in collaboration with Panayotis Lambrou, Creative Director of Coco-Mat Bikes and TransEurope Co-ordinators.
- Presentation of the expert’s professional career
- Short lecture on his work
- Expert and peer portfolio reviews
- Deconstruction of works
- Creation of new experiences and understandings
- Study, analysis and selection of the photographs taken
This intense workshop allows you to:
- Receive guidance from an international expert
- Get the opportunity to revise your existing work or create a new one
- Get full focus on your work while being surrounded by like minded fellow photographers and experience a strong peer-to-peer learning aspect, in a beautiful, peaceful and visually appealing place like Xanthi
- A (digital) showcase will be presented during the Transeurope Athens exhibition in November 2019
- Depending on the stage of your work you will also have the possibility of being featured at one of Coco-Mat Company’s top locations around Europe.
- TransEurope platform/social media and Eyesculture will further use their network to promote the participants’ work.
Who can apply?
This workshop is open to all those who
- Either have an on-going project and wish to develop it further (preferably in reference with the environment).
- Any photographer or avid user of the photographic medium who is eager to approach in a new light any issue of interest that falls under the thematic scope “Eyes on Nature”
- Number of participants: min. 7 – max. 15
- Dates: 26th -30th of September
- Arrival day: Thursday 26th of September (arrive no later than noon)
- Departure day: Monday 30th of September (departure has to be after 14.00)
Check HOW TO APPLY
Participation fees include accommodation for five nights
Pre-inscription fee to secure your place (200€)
Click on inscribe now
Participation fee and stay in private room (495€): registration
(+20€ registration fee)
Participation fee and stay in common room (395€): registration
(+20€ registration fee)
If you would like us to make breakfast arrangements for you for all five days, please note that it will be an extra 25€ in total.
Coco-Mat Villa at Galani Village, Xanthi (Northeast Greece)
Galani Village is near the town of Xanthi at the Northeast of Greece.
The workshop will be held at a Coco-Mat picturesque villa, surrounded by a green landscape, where you can experience the natural way of living and working. Nearby runs Nestos, a well known river for its biodiversity that hosts many different flora and fauna species. It is approximately at a distance of 10-15min on foot from the house.
Coco-Mat Bike will offer a wooden bike to each participant to move around during the days of the workshop!
More info soon to be announced.
By submitting your application at any of TransEurope / Eyesculture events you agree to the Policies and terms and conditions.
His works, in the form of books, exhibits and audiovisual screenings, have been shown in numerous venues including the Nederlands Foto Instituut of Rotterdam, the Rencontres d´Arles, the Seoul Photo Festival, and the Changjiang International Photography and Video Biennale in China among many others. In June 2019 he had his first anthological exhibition, UNIVERSOS, at the Sala Canal de Isabel II exhibition hall in Madrid. He won the award for Best New Photographer at PHotoEspaña 99 and the Arts Award of the city of Madrid in 2008, and was resident artist in the Royal Spanish Academy in Rome in 2016-17. To date, he has published six monographic books, including Infinito (first edition 2000, second edition 2018), considered one of Spain’s most outstanding photobooks in recent decades; versus in 2014 and AURA in 2018. His work is part of numerous public and private collections, such as Fundación MAPFRE, the MACUF Contemporary Art Museum, and the DKV Art Collection. He regularly delivers workshops and lectures on the creative process in photography.
David Jiménez is an artist photographer born in Seville, Spain, 1970; he is currently based in Madrid. His visual proposal brings us up close to the mystery encompassing the everyday, the invisible relationships that operate secretly in that which we find familiar. Frequently his works hold partially hidden keys which invite viewers to construct their own interpretation. He explores the transformation of meaning through one’s gaze, understanding and capturing reality as a dreamlike state whose stability is merely apparent.